Tuesday, October 6, 2009

If I had a cat, and it died, somehow I think I'd feel less bad



Gourmet is closing up shop.  I don't know what to say.  I'm totally stunned.  I can't even be articulate enough to say how much Gourmet has meant to me.  I've been a subscriber since I was a freshman in high school in 1996.  There have been many terrible, horrible, no good, very bad days that I've had only to come home to this happy little magazine in my mailbox--the end result, after a pot of tea and my feet up on the couch was a not so bad after all kind of day.  I've been inspired by its recipes, sent on crazy adventures via its restaurant reviews, had my very soul touched by its food writing, and just generally learned to be a better cook.  Shoot--I've painted rooms with the covers as my color inspiration.  I will dearly miss everything about it, perhaps Ruth Reichl's letters from the editor most of all.  I wish Conde Nast had canned some other magazine instead.  I for one will NOT be switching to Bon Appetit--its just not as good of a magazine.

If anyone has any back issues, they'd like to get rid of, I'd be glad to take them off your hands.  So sad...

No comments:

Post a Comment