Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Spinach Puttanesca

No picture today.  We ate this way too fast.  Usually once a week, the motivation to cook is really low on my end for one reason or another.  This leaves me in a bit of a pickle.  I like eating tasty food, and that finding tasty take-out that's dairy free is pretty limited and unimaginative and expensive.  Days like this, I'm grateful for things like pasta.  Even when I'm feeling mentally my worst I can pop together something delicious and satisfying and more or less healthy too.  Such was the case last night. 

This puttanesca is pretty standard, minus the fish sauce.  I don't always have anchovies on hand, but I always have fish sauce which is made from an anchovy relative, so I figured it was a good sub.  The spinach and sausage I added because I had the spinach and sausage sounded good.  And it's taking me longer to write this out than to make it.  :)

Spinach Puttanesca--feeds 2 (plus noodles to entertain an 8 month old)

3 T olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, grated on a microplane
1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes
1 bunch of spinach, washed, and tough stems removed
1 can stewed or whole tomatoes whizzed in a food processor until good and chopped
1 T capers
10 kalamata olives
1 generous T fish sauce
6 oz. linguine
2 links of turkey Italian sausage

Bring 6 qts water to a boil.  Add a good handful of salt to the water as it comes to a boil.  Pop in the pasta and the sausage and stir occasionally for the 6 or so minutes it will take to cook the pasta.  While the pasta and the sausage are cooking, heat a 4 qt pot over medium heat.  Add the oil when it's good and hot, then the garlic and peppers.  Cook for about a minute, until you smell the garlic.  Add the spinach and cook until it's wilted, which should take about another minute or maybe two.  Add everything else and bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer while the pasta and sausage are finishing.  Drain the pasta and add to the sauce.  While the pasta is absorbing the sauce, cut the sausages on the bias.  Divide between bowls and put the sausage on top.

2 comments: