Thursday, August 26, 2010

Something not to do whilst in your first trimester


Being dairy-free, you come to a point of dabbling in being vegan.  I've always said that I dearly love bacon far too much to ever become any sort of vegetarian (mmm bacon), and I'm totally with Anthony Bourdain in the notion that many a beautiful vegetable has died a horrible death in the hands of a vegetarian with poor cooking skills.

That being said, my parents went vegan a few months ago and it's got me to thinking.  I can never not eat meat; not only will I never 100% give up bacon, my husband is an inveterate meat eater (don't tell him that I cook less meat for him than he thinks).  But the truth is is that I feel better eating vegan meals.  So for 2 meals a day, I'm totally happy living like that.  I might have the occasional egg, but really I could live like this. 

So in my THINKING, I did a dumb thing by going to the library and checking out Alicia Silverstone's The Kind Diet. 

Now, it's not a bad book.  There's some good information in there and some compelling arguments for going vegan.  It's not hugely judgmental or accusatory like a lot of vegan material can be.  It gives you some good facts and lets you decide.  This I like.  Now, the recipes aren't terribly inspiring to me, but most "healthy" cookbooks shouldn't be your resource for learning good cooking technique. 

So why was it dumb for me to pick up this cookbook?  Because, being in my first trimester, very very little food tastes, smells, or sounds good to me.  But, like with my son, the very mention of a vegetable makes me more nauseous than I can handle.  So reading a book about eating more vegetables and whole grains is not really what I need.  I'm taking steps to eating somewhere beyond survival mode at the encouragement of my midwife, but really, throw a piece of broccoli my way, and I'll promptly throw it back.

No comments:

Post a Comment